The math seems simple: the higher your down payment, the lower your mortgage loan amount will be, and the less you will pay in interest over time. The size of your down payment might also impact your loan eligibility. In most cases, you will need a minimum of at least 3 percent, and many loan types will require 5 percent, or more, down. Most lenders will also require that you pay Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) if you put down less than 20 percent until your loan-to-value reaches 80 percent. It is a good idea to give yourself a cash cushion so that you will have money available for the unexpected when you purchase a home. Work with your lender to determine how to ‘right-size’ your down payment.
The Institute of Financial Wellness is the first and most comprehensive multi-media network for financial education, resources, and services. In fulfilling our mission to help people “Get There” and live their best life, we deliver the following five unique value propositions:
– The industry’s most engaging, informative, and objective financial education content
– Clarity and confidence to help individuals make informed financial decisions
– Access to the IFW Network of Financial Professionals for everything financial
– Full implementation of effective, custom-tailored solutions for everyone’s unique needs
– Ongoing guidance and support to ensure maximum financial success through every stage of life